Skip to content

Comet Soccer Battles DeWitt to 1-1 Draw

194 Reads


Soccer vs DeWitt

The opening of the Grand Ledge Community Stadium culminated with the Varsity soccer match between the Grand Ledge Comets and the DeWitt Panthers.

The Comets were coming off a weekend where they dropped two tough matches at the Scotland Yard Invite at Caledonia.
Early in the game the Comets offense was clicking and they put the DeWitt defense on their heels.  In the 12 minute, Hudson Morgan (’18) intercepted a pass and immediately found a streaking Eric Brand (’18).  Eric wasted no time and hit a long ball that put Cody Keitchen (’18) into a 1v1 with a DeWitt defender.  Cody was able to cut back to his right foot and bury the shot into the near post to give the Comets a 1-0 lead.
Just before halftime DeWitt had to scoring chances turned away by goalkeeper Matthew LeBlanc (’21) and the Comets took a 1-0 lead into halftime.
In the second half, a formation change by the Panthers caused some issues for the Comets.  Nate Jefferson (’19) had to make a long recovery run and slid just in time to shut down a break away opportunity.
In the 54th minute, a series of passes across the field eventually found Cody Keitchen in the box.  Cody’s left-footed effort was just saved off the goal line by a DeWitt defender.  The Comets were able to keep the pressure on and Jim Werner (’18) slipped a pass behind the Panther defense where Cameron DeLong (’20) tried to lift his shot over the oncoming goalkeeper.  However, the goalkeeper’s trailing leg somehow was able to get a piece of it and kept the game at 1-0.
With only 6 minutes left, the Panthers hit a long ball that found their forward who was able to muscle his way past the Comet defense before smashing home the equalizer.
The game ended in a 1-1 draw.
The Comets will now head on a series of road games.  They will travel on Marshall (8/24), Mason (8/28) and Haslett (8/30).
Video highlights of the DeWitt match:
  • Latest Photo Galleries

    View More Galleries